Monday, May 11, 2020

H is for Home


Home for me has been a number of places over the years, including Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Toronto, and briefly, Brattleboro. Since 1991 I have been in this area continuously, first in Alexandria, and for the past twenty years in Arlington.

When I was in my hometown on Saturday, for my mother's birthday, I could not wait to get back to the safety of my current home, in Arlington. Harrisonburg, the Friendly City, did not feel friendly and welcoming, as it usually does. A favorite restaurant there is no longer open on weekends. Bathroom availability up and down the Valley was non-existent (other than my brother's house in Harrisonburg and a friend's house in Winchester). It was odd to feel so foreign in the place where I grew up and have visited continually in before times.

Arriving home was a huge relief, and I don't expect to leave this town again any time soon! My heart is firmly planted here on South Nelson Street in Arlington.

Life Lesson: Home is where the heart is.

2 comments:

  1. You have captured the way that home feels like the only safe place these days. I'm glad you got to see your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the pull of home while reading this. The Friendly City will be friendly again someday!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...