Wednesday, May 13, 2020

I is for Iris

I just counted, and I now have four varieties of iris in my garden beds.

The original variety, Bearded Iris, has been along the neighbors property-line garage for so long that I've forgotten the particulars of its origins. This variety is not native to North America but it is everywhere here, and very easy to grow. Mine is deep purple, and it blooms in striking concert with our white Shirley Temple Peony, a gift from my late mother-in-law. For this reason alone, it has earned its keep.

Siberian Iris came to me by way of divisions from my former landlady in Cleveland Park, D.C. This variety is not bearded, and it is thinner and more delicate that the bearded iris. What I love about Siberian Iris is that you can plant it in wet areas and it will thrive. I'm hoping to transfer some of mine to the school garden once we figure out the drainage area there. In the meantime it lines one of my river rock drainage beds here.


Siberian Iris

About five or six years ago, my family visited Monticello during Spring Break when all the tulips were in bloom. But I found an additional treasure blooming along the shaded pathway from the parking lot to the Welcome Center. Crested Iris is low to the ground, and considered a native in this area. I was delighted to find that some had been potted and were being offered for sale, along with other native plants, outside the gift shop. I've tried them in a couple of different spots with varying degrees of sun, and they are naturalizing happily in the shadier spots.

Just this week, on a trip to visit my mother, I stopped at the food co-op near Kline's Dairy Bar in downtown Harrisonburg because I saw plants outside the entrance and around the corner under the entire length of the covered portico. I was impressed with the number of native perennials displayed, and came home with a Virginia Iris, native to the Eastern North America.

Dutch Iris is a fifth variety that I've enjoyed in the past, but requires Fall planting of bulbs every few years in this zone.

It seems I've become an unwitting collector of Iris varieties over the years.

Life Lesson: Surround yourself with that which brings you joy.

1 comment:

  1. Your love of these flowers shines through, and I am constantly reminded of how fortunate our TJ community is to have you in charge of the garden, bringing us all joy.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...