Thursday, March 5, 2020

Embracing the Process

What good is a map if you don’t know how to use it?
What good are the hands of the clock on the wall if you only know digital time?
What good is an open notes test if you can’t read your own handwriting?

Learning to slow things down and help students with the logistics of learning is part of my mission as an EL Resource Teacher. I recently convinced one of my co-teachers that if we are going to allow kids to use their Study Guide for unit tests, we need to teach them HOW to use it. So that’s what we did this morning.

This generation of students is accustomed to using a search bar to find information. With paper resources they need to be able to scan for specific terms. Convincing kids to slow down and go back and forth from screen to paper to screen is also challenging. So many are used to the click, click, click pace of timed video games or adrenaline-laced quizlets. How can we help them embrace the process?

7 comments:

  1. Slowing down is a great idea! I think you're right- younger kids need guidance in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar conversation with my team teacher. You ended with a very good question - how do we help them embrace the process - ANY process. It sounds like they have a very good resource in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost used "Embracing the Process" as my title for this slice. Maybe I should have. Thank you for your feedback!

      Delete
    2. Haha! I just went back and changed the title. Always go with your gut.

      Delete
  3. Starting with a series of questions really drew me in. Very engaging post!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...