Friday, March 6, 2020

Any Way You Slice It

In between Student-Led Conferences, today, I’ve been trying to write through my total lack of inspiration for Blog Post #6, and I’ve been getting NOWHERE. When this happens to our students they invariably lapse into dull play-by-play accounts of their day thus far until they get to 100 words. I’m planning to address with them the difference between play-by-play accounts and slices of life. But first I need to clarify that difference for myself, and come up with some strategies for turning a play-by-play into a slice.

Strategy #1 Agree on the given that everyone brushes their teeth after they wake up in the morning. 

Focus on the toothpaste instead. What brand, what flavor, paste or gel? Bottom roller or top squeezer? Flosser, yes or no; waxed or unwaxed? Mouthwash or breath mints? (See the potential for sensory detail?)

Strategy #2 Point out that if they are sitting in the classroom with us today, we already know that they came to school.

Focus on the journey instead. Bus, car, bike, skateboard or legs? Cool breeze, biting rain, or heavy air? Stray dog, chirping bird, sidewalk worm or fresh-mown grass? (See the potential for sensory detail?)

Strategy #3 Locate just the right clip of Seinfeld in order to show how everyday nothing can become uniquely something, with just the right slice.



5 comments:

  1. I often think about the “It’s a show about nothing” when I think of something to write about. We can make something extraordinary out of the most ordinary of moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't made the Seinfeld connection, but it is spot on. The thing that wows me is how we can capture both the universal and the unique in our writing, and they can hit just the same. Thanks for this advise as I sink into slicing for day 6th myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is about the time when I really start focusing in on what other slicers are doing and look for ideas. Some days writing is just hard - and by realizing this, we can better understand our students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are toughing out! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your strategies. I’m kind of in a place of “lack of inspiration”. I have to start reading more posts by others. That usually helps.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...