Sunday, March 21, 2021

Greenery for the Girls

I remember eyeing the live cat grass and cat nip in pots by the register during a recent visit to Pet Smart. At the time I did not think either one merited its $7.99 price tag, and I made a mental note to grow my  own for Izzy and Bella. Izzy, in particular, has always been up on the counter, curious about the new flower bouquets we bring home from Trader Joe’s. 

This afternoon, after dropping off my son, my husband, and their bikes at Williamsburg Barber, my next order of business was to swing by Pet Smart for exactly what I never ended up growing on my own. My change of heart came about because Izzy’s tummy has been bothering her ever since she threw up her breakfast this morning. I found myself wondering if perhaps chomping on some grass might help her to set things right, in the way she might do on her own if she were an outdoor cat. And knowing how jealous Bella would be of a fresh pot of greens beside Izzy’s feeding station, I grabbed the live cat nip for her.

Two hours later Izzy is still tucked away in the front bedroom closet, curled up in the old doll bed she claimed for herself when it used to be in my daughter’s bedroom. Meanwhile, Bella has walked past the cat nip several times, giving it the side eye but not venturing over to take so much as a sniff. Even after I ripped and crumbled a couple of the leaves to create an aroma, and left them on the corner of the nearby scratching post, she merely gazed with half interest from afar. 

Time will tell if my $16+ investment was a complete waste. But the greenery sure has perked up both feeding areas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...