Monday, June 15, 2020

Puzzle Me This

It took one intensely colorful thousand-piece mandala that consumed me for most of two days to lift me over the hump and get me back into reading again.

All the previous jigsaw puzzles laid out on the card table over the past three months were Brian's doing: the Monet painting (1000 pieces), the National Parks poster art (500 pieces), the Oldtime Baseball cards (300 pieces) and the Quest for Knowledge engraving (500 pieces).

Something about climbing that mandala mountain finally fixed my focus enough that I'm now content to put away puzzles and resume reading again. Reading actual books.

My first book is a recently-published friendship memoir written by my cousin's wife who is also a poet and anthologist of Canadian poetry. It's called The Last Goldfish: a True Tale of Friendship by Anita Lahey. I'm already more than halfway through, and all I want to do is devour. I probably should have finished all of my PD before I started reading, because this is what happens (and possibly why I don't read actual books more often). I can't put it down.

Next on my list is The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas. Molly just read it over the weekend within a twelve-hour time span. She's like me in that she will comb the news, read all kinds of articles and feature stories, or anything that she has to read for school, but rarely pick up an actual book. She claims that all those years of high school English, reading dead white guys, killed her appetite for books, especially fiction.

Now that I've been a dedicated Writer for three months, I'm hoping to spend the summer being an avid Reader. But what was it about that puzzle that helped me shift gears?

       


1 comment:

  1. Hitting on a book you can’t put down is pure magic. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...