Tuesday, May 26, 2020

U is for Umbrella

Several years ago I purchased six large Ikea umbrellas with alternating blue and yellow panels to have available for Reading Buddies on rainy days. Since we used to walk the half mile to Patrick Henry ES and back, having umbrellas in our own school colors to share with the Buddies seemed like a good idea. Only one of them was destroyed by inappropriate use. Five remain.

When Fleet ES opened right next door to us, I realized we would no longer need umbrellas for Reading Buddies, so I took three of the umbrellas and put them in the garden shed for those hypothetical occasions when we get caught outside in a fast moving rain storm. Earlier this Spring I actually found myself inside the shed during a downpour, wondering how I would get back to my car, when suddenly I remembered that the umbrellas were right next to me! Well done, Past Self, I thought.

The two remaining umbrellas should still be inside Room 272, in the corner by my desk. In the event of beautiful mornings and nasty afternoons, those umbrellas are there to save the day for myself and any other colleague who happen to be in need. They are also perfect golf-sized umbrellas, for my brother or my son this summer. I should probably retrieve them when we are allowed to go back into the building before the end of the school year. Or maybe I can use one of the garden shed umbrellas in our upcoming school video. Hmmm....

Life Lesson:  Always be prepared.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to catch a glimpse of those cheerful TJ-colored umbrellas. I miss all things blue and yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!That's taking preparedness to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...