Monday, May 25, 2020

T is for Toiling

Yesterday morning I walked down to Fort Bernard to deliver tomatoes to a friend who was toiling away in her garden plot, alongside her nephew. While inside the fence, I treated myself to a self-tour of the entire garden to see what folks are up to in their individual plots. This is where I get ideas and inspiration.

Saturday is typically my day for toiling in the school garden. With six volunteers, myself and the garden manager, we were able to get our cukes and squash planted, among a number of other chores on our never-ending list. Today when we went back to lay soaker hoses in the newly planted areas, we found oodles of toiling striped beetles transforming our cucumber leaves into green lace. Well humpf! Good thing my garden partner stocked some Diatomaceous Earth powder and Neem Oil!


Finally my own garden got a little attention this afternoon. I planted six native perennials that had been sitting in pots for ten days, and I up-potted several geraniums. Then I weeded for a couple of hours. And now this day’s toil is complete.

Life Lesson: A gardener’s work is never done.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...