Sunday, May 10, 2020

F is for Face Time

Yesterday found me far away from home for nine hours. Mom turned 94, so I gathered together the yard sign that Molly created, the annual vase of Lilies of the Valley, the Pepperidge Farm coconut cake; and I carefully placed the new cotton tops I'd ordered for her in a birthday bag with lots of tissue paper. Then off I went, out into the world beyond Arlington for the first time in nearly three months.

At the drive-through Starbucks in Front Royal, the debit/credit card machine sat on the marble ledge outside the service window. Patrons plucked coffee cups out of mugs extended to them by the check out server. Likewise, food items in bags were sent across the ledge in a rectangular container to minimize the chance of finger contact between humans.

Halfway down Interstate 81, I realized my bladder would have to be patient and resolute until I made it to my brother's townhouse in Harrisonburg because there were no other options. I was easily distracted by the pockets of alternating sunlight and shadow on the mountains slightly to my left, and the rolling farmland in patchwork hues of green, gold and brown on my right. With Siri's help I called an old friend for a speaker phone catch-up. Before I knew it I was at my exit.

Thankfully my brother had the finch socks, so we proceeded across town to Yoder House, our mom's complete care residence, on the campus of the Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community, fully masked and gloved. After wiping down the cake box, vase and gift bag handles with Chlorox wipes and waving to Mom through the front entry, we proceeded around the building to her bedroom window in the back. There, we planted Molly's Happy Birthday sign and replenished the finch socks on the bird feeder poles at the edge of the wooded area about 15 feet from her window.

Finally we had the opportunity to FaceTime with Mom through the bedroom window, to see her smiles, wish her a happy birthday, and acknowledge that she looks healthy and happy, despite needing a hair cut like most of the rest of the world right now. She was clearly basking in all the attention this day brought her, from the balloons on her bed to the tiara on her head, and a surprise midday visit from family.

Life Lesson: Always go the extra mile for family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...