Monday, March 2, 2020

Technology is Not My Friend

Much to my delight, experienced slicers seem to be looking after us newbies. Somehow my piece from yesterday ended up in the right place. (Thank you Kathleen Sokolowski?) Then, this afternoon, a colleague and longtime slicer reworked my layout so that I have a direct link for the Two Writing Teachers site right in my sidebar! (Thank you, Tracey!) I get by with a little help from my friends.

Speaking of technology... one of our middle school student slicers had the same experience as me getting started with this writing challenge. He somehow lost his original first post for March 1st on the Canvas discussion board, and he had to redo one quickly. In his redo he complained about technology and I could so relate! Every new platform I’ve had to learn in recent years has been a painstaking undertaking.

Please understand that I left for college in 1980 with a manual typewriter that I’d found on the curbside six houses down the street. Two years later I learned Word Star at my part time job with an apartment management company. Three years after that I joined a circle of graphic designers from my Toronto workplace for the long-awaited unveiling of the first Mac 512, though at that time I was still using an IBM Selectrix to type up design proposals for the sales team. I’ve come a long way with technology. It’s just that I started out so very long ago.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, it seems I learn something new everyday when it comes to technology! Did you post your slice to the Two Writing Teachers page? I haven't seen it, but I may have missed it. I just want to make sure that you get others to read and comment on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology and I have a love/hate relationship. I’m always amazed about how much more savvy my 10 year daughter is and my room full of first graders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always astounded at how much it changes and we change with it. I love the vision of you picking up your typewriter curbside! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...