Sunday, March 1, 2020

When Good Friends Move Away

Today Connie and I filled our van with her detritus and headed for Winchester so that I could see the new house that she and David recently purchased. At the beginning of April their charming Arlington home will go on the market. By the end of May, they will be gone from South Nelson Street.

A week ago I helped Carey pack her trunk, and I hauled away her household hazmats. Three days later she spent her last evening and overnight with us before closing on her condo and boarding the auto train for Florida. Poof! Just like that, she was gone.

Good friends are moving away. I’m mostly feeling excited for them in their new adventures, but also somewhat sad for myself because I will miss the occasional dog walks, the impromptu coffee chats, the planned Haandi lunches and the Mozaic meet-ups. I anticipate more Face Timing or Skyping in the months ahead. But I also anticipate some loneliness.

2 comments:

  1. It can’t be easy when good friends move away, but now you have more places to visit?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel the heaviness of your heart in this piece. Separation from those you love is never easy. Maybe writing through it and capturing memeories that you shared will help? Thank goodness for modern technology, huh?

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...