Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Friends Who Are Green

This time of year I start to get giddy about my seedlings. I usually start oodles of tomato seeds on our enclosed front porch - at first next to a space heater on the floor, then on the wide window sills once the seeds sprout. I get one rush when the sprouts push their tiny heads above the surface of the dirt on translucent trunks, and another rush when the first two opposing leaves form. Their bright green salute signals the start of Spring, for me.

Yesterday, at school, I started some JalapeƱos for the school garden. (Most of my tomato babies at home are also intended for the TJMS Community Garden.) At school we have the use of a superfluous light table, though aside from tomatoes and peppers we prefer to sow seeds directly into the garden soil. Tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squashes and melons were plentiful last year. We also grow strawberries, herbs and leafy greens. This year we’d like more peppers. We’re also going to work with the fourth graders next door at Fleet to start several mounds of Three Sisters: corn, beans and squash companion planting like the Iroquois.

While I would still welcome a good blizzard and a half foot of snow (with ensuing snow days), I’m equally anxious for warm sunny days that I can spend outside in the garden.

8 comments:

  1. I love your spring salute! I wish we had room for a garden because I love home-grown vegetables! What a great experience for your students, too, to have a school garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get started on this! I have been buying seedlings, but my children are getting older and I feel like I have more energy for things like starting my own. I think they'll enjoy it too! My school kids always grow tomatoes, and sometimes they actually come back in September to tell me they've eaten some. I wish we had a school garden...but not enough to lead the project and get it going! Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This garden was started ten years ago by a girl scout troop as their Silver Award project.

      Delete
  3. I love this time of year (when I used to live in the Midwest, I mean). I loved that good weather always won, but sometimes those fun blizzards would dump heavy snow and let us remember winter. As long as your seeds are same in the enclosed porch, let the blizzard fly (maybe once or twice more). All the best to you and the TJMS garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we can’t control the weather, your post reminds us to find the good in any season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you painted the picture with your words. I could see the tiny sprouts coming out of the dirt. Sounds like an amazing garden.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...