Monday, March 7, 2022

My Day Off

I had planned this Monday off in advance because my daughter is home from college for her Spring Break and had a medical appointment scheduled. I've always taken her to her "well baby" check-ups, so I just assumed I should make myself available this morning.

Upon arriving home on Friday afternoon she announced, "I will need the car at 8:30 on Monday morning."

"Oh," I responded, with a tilt of my head. "You don't need me to go with you?"

"Well, I'm 20 years old. Don't you think I should start doing these things on my own?" she asked. And I couldn't disagree because of course she should be flexing her independence.

As it turned out, she didn't sleep well last night so this morning she asked me if I could drive and drop her off, a comfy compromise for having versus not having your mom along. I was glad to be her taxi service, and eager to entertain myself at the Meadows Farm Nursery just down the highway from Sleepy Hollow Pediatrics.

Later in the morning, once we'd returned home from the appointment and I was headed out to Paul and Sharon's to do my annual clean-up of their raised flower bed, my daughter reminded me that she'd need the car at 2:00pm to pick up Grandma Kathie from the airport. 

"The clean sheets are in the dryer. Do you mind making her bed when they are ready?" I ventured.

"Sure. No problem," she eagerly agreed. When I got home, the deed was done. No reminder necessary.

"Wow," I thought. This is not the same gal who left home six months ago! 

From across the street on my neighbor's front stoop, I could hear the commotion of Molly and Grandma pulling up to the curb and tumbling out of the car, fresh in from Molly's first ever solo airport retrieval. They were still laughing about Molly showing up to Door #4 outside Alaska Air, as agreed upon, only to text her grandma and learn that she was upstairs at Departures while Grandma was downstairs at arrivals! So of course she had to circle the airport and try again.

Today I really enjoyed having a chance to follow my own agenda while Molly took care of the logistics.



1 comment:

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...