Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Working It Out At Home

I am so over MS Teams meetings, and (until this week) I've only have five or fewer a week, compared to my husband’s schedule of three or four conferences daily. But he works for a bunch of Type As who have convinced themselves that what they do during these times is essential, when actually it is not. Which isn’t to say that their initiatives aren’t worthwhile. (See www.nasa.gov for NASA at Home.)

Brian has put quite a bit of thought into the ergonomics of his work space, elevating and tilting his laptop screen, adding a portable keyboard to his arrangement, and soon an adjustable footstool. Each improvement has meant another bike ride to Best Buy to pick up a pre-ordered item outside the store. The chair itself is also a recent upgrade. Given how many hours per day he spends ensconced in his telecommuting bunker, I understand his need for ergonomic excellence.

So far my teleconferences have been taking place on our enclosed front porch, in the company of my tomato babies and bright sunlight. But I’m used to moving around all day, and so the idea of spending hours in one room, at the same desk, in the same chair or position is repugnant to me. Even with coffee breaks. Being downstairs on the porch, at the kitchen counter, or on the family room sofa, I am visible and accessible to our two teenaged scholars-in-residence. They mostly don’t need me, but when they do, I’m here.

2 comments:

  1. We are wired to be in the classroom, face-to-face, and it's been a challenge. However, I did kind of get a kick out of being able to take a shower 15 minutes before my meeting and not be late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a standing desk which will happily make the transition to my classroom whenever we are allowed back into our natural environment!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...