Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Thriving in the Time of Covid

When friends or family inquire, I describe my daughter as a raging introvert who had senioritus anyway, and I assure them that she is actually thriving with all this time at home. It is true. We are lucky.

I know that an extroverted teenage girl unmoored from the physical presence of her friends for this long would be a larger challenge. My good friend's daughter had JUST made the lacrosse team at her school as an inexperienced walk-on. She was so looking forward to this new-for-her sport. She doesn't know it yet, but I'm sending her a microgreens starter kit as my way of trying to mitigate her pain, even as I know her losses are too huge to heal with simple gestures. But at least she has three more years of high school to hone her skills and grow her friendships face to face.

Our introvert began her happy homestand by deep cleaning the bathroom she shares with her brother and organizing her bedroom. Like an expectant mama bird, she first prepared her nest. A garbage bag of near-empty lotions, shampoos and loose packaging emerged from this effort, along with an extra load of laundry. After the settling-in, and in her own time, she began communicating with teachers, continuing with her research paper, completing assignments or attending online class meetings as they started to appear on her calendar. She’s also working out, daily.

A dress without an occasion now hangs on her closet door.  She is likely not as heartbroken as many about the cancellation of senior rituals, but I know it still must ache deep down. Even with promises of an eventual send-off that is fitting of their unique program. Even with all day kitty comfort and perfect springtime weather in which to bask. Even though she is introverting to her heart's content, daily.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear of those for whom this is a relief or a joy. Sounds like she's doing ok - my sympathy to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true- this is especially hard for extroverts, but I think you're right about the "ache deep down." I'm glad she's coping well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...her loses are too huge to heal with simple gestures." These times are so hard on those young adults who are missing out on those moments. I know I appreciate the sacrifice they are all making. Congratulations on making the full month. I have enjoyed stopping here each day and reading your words. I hope you continue slicing on Tuuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by regularly! I have really appreciated your comments, Leigh Anne.

      Delete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...