Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Time Marches On

This year’s March Writing Challenge snuck up on me. I think it’s because I’m no longer in English 6 classes or situated in the vicinity of the Dolphin team, where my inspiration resides. But here I am again, hopping on a moving train, and hoping I can hold on!

Three years ago this coming Monday was our last day in the school building until the following March, now two years behind us. This year’s group of eighth graders were the sixth graders who started middle school online. They are still sorting themselves out from that precarious transition, and it’s been rewarding for me to be able to get to know them better, in person, for the past two years. However, I will wish them good riddance when they move on, because Springtime eighth graders are all about fouling the nest before taking flight. 

Meanwhile our world has experienced years of warmer than normal winters, yet most days it is still too chilly to get kids out in the garden, which is what I live for this time of year, with Spring Break still weeks away. So I’ve decided to spend this indecisive month of March cultivating solidarity with my old March Writing Challenge pals. 

3 comments:

  1. March has been even more unpredictable than ever, these days! Looking forward to your take on things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to your comment about eighth graders fouling the nest! Ha - so funny and sadly true.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...