Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Independence Reclaimed

This morning my fifteen-year-old son was awake and downstairs by 6:30am, filling an eight inch bowl with "red box" Joe's O's. That's the smaller box that packs a large punch, with nine grams of fiber, six grams of protein, vitamins and minerals galore. 

This was destined to be a big day for my not-so-little-one.

Twenty minutes later, as I was packing my lunch, I noticed that he'd begun gathering together the items he would need for his day: his MacBook and charger, a composition book, a spiral, a few writing tools, his bike helmet, and gloves. Despite the cloudy weather, and Dad's offer of a ride to school, he seemed determined to bike independently. That was how he'd traveled to and from school for three-quarters of his freshman year, until in-person school abruptly ended.

I peeked through the slightly-ajar bathroom door to see that he was trimming his fingernails, and preening a bit, making sure that he looked presentable for his grand return. This is my chance, I thought. 

"Hey Bud," I offered, "what if you try some of that dry shampoo? It will take care of the shine." Heaven forbid I should call it grease, but what fifteen year old boy's entire head isn't oozing with oil?

He hesitated a couple of seconds, "Oh...kay. I guess." At which point I pulled a total MOM on him. 

I sprayed all over his scalp, back and forth, lifting up bangs, then sides, and finally under the hair dragging on his neck. Before he knew what had happened, I was running a brush through his hair, sweeping his now-silky bangs across his forehead to one side. Pressing my luck.

"GET OUT!" he demanded, grabbing his comb, and in three determined strokes he restored the straight-bang look that he's worn ever since pre-school.

"Have a great day!" I called out over my shoulder as I headed to the front of the house, destined for my own big day back in a building. 

He may have grunted, "You too." I can't be sure.

3 comments:

  1. I have an 18 and 13 year old and I can say you are brave for seizing that moment! Haha. It was worth at least a (pretty great) slice and maybejustmaybe you gave him something he'll learn from moving forward - whether he chooses to admit it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I can totally picture this! I have a 16-yo who hasn't been to the hairdresser's in a year, so you can imagine the tussle during haircuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I love the sudden shift into overdrive when he gave you the slightest invitation. "Total Mom," for sure.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...