Sunday, September 13, 2020

One Week In

When I wrote to APS in early July about not returning to our school buildings this fall, the prospect of distance learning was still an abstract eventuality. Two months later, virtual delivery has become the cumbersome reality. 

After only one week, my competence has grown fourfold. Although the learning curve will continue to be steep, at least now I can see my path into the forest with reasonable clarity. I will continue to stumble here and there, but hopefully soon fall into a good rhythm with my co-teaching companions as we wend our way through first quarter.

Work-life balance is a challenge. School-related apps now residing on my personal iPhone include Google Voice, MS Teams, and Outlook. I swore this would never happen, and I tell myself it is only for this year. This one year unlike any other in my twenty years of teaching. If I can survive this year, I say, then the next four will be a breeze! Carving out time to be outside, to garden, to walk or bike each day is crucial. Especially given how much more I am sitting at a desk. In real school I never sit.

My biggest logistical challenge is resetting my body clock so that I get enough sleep. I know my students are still struggling with this too. It’s taking longer this year than most. I’ve had to resort to Melatonin on week nights. 

2 comments:

  1. It has been tough, but I agree with your assessment that things are getting a little better every day. On to week two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, time outside is so important. Are the tomatoes still rolling in?

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...