Sunday, May 3, 2020

Counting My Blessings

After a day outside in the gardens, I feel renewed.

In the morning I borrowed an old beater of a truck to pick up a load of cardboard and a load of mulch for the school garden. While I was doing that, Reidy was planting and Carlos came by to continue his drainage project. It feels great to see all the progress we are making with the garden this Spring.

The truth is, we get more done without the students around, but we sure do miss them and all the moments of joy and wonder they share with us as they spend time in the garden and interact with nature, be it worms, baby shrews under a forgotten sheet of cardboard, or the first strawberries for tasting.

In the afternoon I mowed and weeded at home, and I dumped a year's worth of home grown compost into the raised bed where I will soon plant my tomatoes. I have several projects ready to go for my hired hand who will be here on Monday: a ten foot stone pathway, a drainage rock bed extension, and gutters to clean. Not to mention all the mini projects floating around in my mind to keep me busy over the coming weeks.

What would I do during these weeks of quarantine if I were stuck inside with no school garden to focus on, or a back yard in which to putter?


Disclaimer: this is yesterday's post that I was too beat to write and post!

1 comment:

  1. Spring is truly alive at your home (and at TJ)! I imagine your yard teeming with life.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...