Friday, April 3, 2020

The War Effort

In my spare time I’ve been watching mask-making videos, which range greatly from employing elastic to bias tape to floral wire. Some have flannel on the inside with a special backing that is different from the front material. Others have only two layers. They all seem to have pleats and tightly-woven cotton material. The non-sewing version of DIY masks involves bandanas and elastic hair ties, with an elaborate folding pattern that is cumbersome at best. The stated degree of their usefulness ranges widely as well. But since we are now entering the most dangerous two weeks of this pandemic cycle, the need for masks seems to be ramping up, depending on who you follow.

There are two sewing machines sitting in our basement. My mother’s old Singer has tension issues that are beyond me at this point, but hers is the familiar machine that I learned on as a teenager. My late MIL’s Janome is specifically meant for quilting and was one of the few prized possessions she brought along in that last car trip to Virginia from Texas. Do I just let them both sit there, unused? Or do I try my hand at mask-making? Better yet, do I loan them to someone else who might be more adept at mask-making than I suspect I would be after all these years? I’d certainly rather spend my Spring Break outside in a Plot Against Hunger.

Using our existing skills and abilities in the most strategic way means doing what we already know how to do best, and giving necessary supplies or support to others who can do what they do best. On that note, I am soon off to Randolph ES for the weekly Food Pantry distribution. Today I am a foot soldier in the war effort against Covid-19. Tomorrow I am back outside in the the modern day version of a Victory Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...