Tuesday, April 28, 2020

An Abundance of Caution

Yesterday afternoon I ventured into Costco for the first time in at least a month. All I needed was a dozen bags of the Whitney Farms organic soil, and fortunately I found them not more than 20 steps into the building. A dozen bags on my cart later, and only 60 steps across the first aisle, a Costco employee directed me to the checkout station at the far left. In less than 20 minutes I was in and out with what I needed, loaded and gone. Beauty!

Two employees were stationed outside the main entrance, disinfecting cart handles. The membership card checker and greeter was inside a plexiglass booth, as was the parking ticket validator. All of the checkout clerks were behind tall panels of plexiglass that ran the entire length of the checkout station. The whole process was safe and seamless. I was impressed with the transformation.

So I wonder...

... now that plexiglass is in place everywhere, will there be a rush to un-install it when our society reopens for business? Will it be viewed as unfriendly and impersonal? Or can we just leave it in place, offering the most vulnerable among us increased safety in a future when they finally dare to leave home once again?

... can we take some of what we've learned about safe social distancing and personal hygiene with us into the coming year, until we're safely through the second wave that is predicted for Fall? This is what I would like to see, not just for outward safety, but to save our sensory systems from the jolt that awaits us if we suddenly throw caution to the wind.

... what will our new normal look like, long term?


1 comment:

  1. I think our new normal will involve plenty of plexiglass and masks. I, too, was pleasantly surprised by the ease and level of safety at Costco.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...