Monday, March 9, 2020

Giving Her Credit

This is my post for International Women's Day, one day late.

My daughter is more woke, politically, than I am. I continue to learn a lot from her insight and her candor, even if her choice of words sometimes startles me. But there are a number of practical things she has taught me as well, most recently these two little gems:

1. When I turn the key to unlock the 20 year old Nissan, that she now drives, turning it twice in the same direction unlocks the passenger and back seat doors as well. I never knew that.

2. If you push the 30 second button on our kitchen microwave repeatedly, you can get one minute, one and a half minutes, and so on. Wow! Really? News to me!

In addition, she has taught me numerous tricks to use with the iPhone and the Mac as well as some social media etiquette. I haven’t always been open to what she has to teach me. But I’m learning to respect her experience that is unique to being a female growing up in this time and this place. She knows and understands more than I give her credit for, and I am finally learning to sometimes follow her lead.

Let’s give all women in our lives the credit they deserve!

2 comments:

  1. I know there is a fair exchange of wisdom in your relationship, but it’s nice that you can acknowledge your young woman’s contribution. What a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your respect for your daughter shines through in this post. I know I learn from mine all the time. Happy International Women's Day!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...