Sunday, March 15, 2020

Clean Feet

When last we connected, I was about to settle into a long afternoon nap with my cozy cat. But then I realized that my feet were still dirty from the garden. Despite over-the-ankle socks, shoes and long pants, the dirt always seems to find its way to my feet, and especially in between my toes. Gardens are dirty places.

But the thing is... I can’t fall asleep with dirty feet!

I can sleep with hair that should have been washed yesterday. Or a face that was only warm wiped and not scrubbed. I’ve even been known to fall asleep without brushing my teeth or taking my pills. 

But I can’t fall asleep with dirty feet!

I can fall asleep mid-page, or mid-utterance. I can fall asleep with people in the room or the TV tuned to SNL. I can even fall asleep with all the lights on and the doors unlocked, which happens when my husband is on travel.

But guess what? That’s right. I can’t fall asleep with dirty feet! 

So I headed down to the basement utility sink to rectify the situation. First one foot, up and over and into the warm soapy tub. Then rinsed, toweled dry and nestled into the slip-on. Other foot, up and over... Bliss! I was asleep in no time, Sweet Kitty Girl tucked between my legs, stretching herself all the way to my clean feet.

Zzzzzz....

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a sink to wash up in and did not have to take the time to change clothes, shower, dry, redress.....you know, the long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't sleep with dirty feet, either! I love the rhythm of this post- the repetition of the dirty feet bits makes this really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The repitition of "I can't fall asleep with dirty feet" creates a cadence in your post, marhcing us the end with lots of ZZZs!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...