Thursday, May 28, 2020

X is for X-ray

X-ray technology has come to my rescue in a number of situations over the years. When I had plantar fasciitis, my chiropractor used ultrasound to break up the offending scar tissue. When I had a mysterious tunnel wound, interventional radiologists worked with the wound clinic to finally provide healing after months of treatment. Even an MRI could not definitively explain how a hematoma in one part of my hip led to a stubborn tunnel wound in another area. When I had appendicitis, I ingested barium sulfate prior to the x-ray that rushed me into emergency surgery. So I am no stranger to x-rays.

I recently realized that I'm overdue on my annual wellness checkup, my A1C fasting blood draw, my annual mammogram and a dental cleaning (not to mention haircut and nail appointments). I'm going to conveniently ignore the fact that I'm also due for another colonoscopy. Most of this negligence is because I dislike signing onto a portal to manage everything. This willful negligence does not extend to my children, however, who are all caught up with their medical and dental wellness since those anniversaries fall in autumn and winter. But mine are all in this spring of the Great Quarantine.

Of the above-mentioned procedures, the only one I detest is the colonoscopy, and really it's not the procedure itself, but the prep. The procedure is fascinating. To think that cameras can be used in those places! Places that x-rays alone cannot peruse.

Why aren't there an abundance of X words to choose from so that I don't have to write about my medical history? Perhaps I should have chosen Xenophobia.

Life Lesson: Always remember to take care of yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...