Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Stupid Is as Stupid Does

Why does an eleven year old boy jump into a hole too deep to climb out of?  Did he follow the younger boys in, or did they follow him? They could have hit the rebar! What then?!

When I was growing up, on a hill overlooking our town, new construction emerged every couple of years as each lot was sold off. We were the fourth house to go in, and there were seven more that followed us during my childhood. I'm fairly certain we snooped around in every last one of them as they were being built. Like sirens, they called to us on quiet summer evenings, as the last glow of light disappeared over the horizon. I specifically remember jumping out of the second floor of one house into a pile of sand, likely on a dare. What we did was dangerous and stupid, but to us each house was a new adventure.

A neighbor heard the boys yelling for help and gave them a hand by lowering a ten or twelve foot ladder into the hole. My bet is that they go back and conquer that hole by the time the footers are in. I'm pretty sure I might have done the same thing way back when.


3 comments:

  1. Your empathy for those knuckleheads is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like many a summer day of my own youth. That's probably the reason I knew everyone at the local emergency room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about the construction site of a new home? I can still smell the dirt and freshly poured concrete like it was yesterday...

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...