Sunday, April 19, 2020

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

It's been several years since I've tried to plant Impatiens. Not the New Guinea variety, but what I think of as the basic shade-loving variety. I first fell in love with these delicate, bunching beauties at my Cousin Mona's wedding in Clinton, New Jersey. Aunt Mary and Uncle Albert's old painted lady Victorian sat on one side of the cemetery, and the church on the other. I remember walking through the cemetery to the backyard reception, and I remember centerpieces of Impatiens in little wooden pots on all the rented cafe tables.

A few years ago none of the nurseries were carrying classic Impatiens because of a fungus that had taken hold of them at most of the area growers. I was forced to migrate away from them to Tuberous Begonias, which I still enjoy. But this year my old friends look particularly strong and healthy again, so I'm giving them another go. I'm going bold, with a mix of light pink, dark pink, light coral, dark coral white and red, which is pretty much all of the colors they come in except for a lavenderish-purple that never seems to make it into the mixture. I found them at the W&L plant sale, which offered drive-by pick up and loading this year.

After taking much care in planting: Bio-tone in the hole, organic planting soil all around the plants roots, and a gentle watering of each individual plant; I sprinkled some blood meal all around the area in an attempt to keep the squirrels and other critters out of them until they grow stronger and can hold their own. They now reside around the base of the River Birch, easily visible from the family room picture window, not far from the finch feeder. I am hopeful that my patience of the past several years will be rewarded with a colorful show that lasts all summer long.

1 comment:

  1. If this level of love and care doesn't pay off, nothing will. I really enjoyed the description of your cousin's wedding in Clinton and walking through the cemetery to the backyard reception, complete with impatiens centerpieces - so idyllic.

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...