Friday, March 13, 2020

Safe Places


I've been feeling guilty about not going to my deep water aerobics class this week. My gut tells me to stay away from places that are crowded. The locker room, a perfect breeding ground, is especially daunting. In the weeks to come we are all going to need some safe places where we can go to get out of our homes. I'm starting a list of safe places.

My back yard is an instant refuge. I have Siberian Iris to dig up, separate, and replant. (Some will go to the school garden.) I have grass seed to mix with top soil and spread to fill in the spots that did not come back so far this Spring. I have my raised tomato bed to prepare. The hammock to bring out of the shed and reassemble.

The school garden is a never-ending collection of tasks and chores that are gratifying because it is a Plot Against Hunger, providing food to our local food pantry. I have six cabbage plants from the AFAC Kickoff last Saturday to plant, three white and three red. I have weeding along established rows. Mulching over cardboard that I just replenished yesterday.

Ft. Bernard Community Garden is right in our neighborhood. I have at least two friends with garden plots there. Other, older gardeners may need assistance, especially if they are not leaving their homes.

The bike trails are an outlet for aerobic exercise. They are also a way to run errands. Can bikes work as much-needed outings with friends if we all stay on our bikes or keep social distance? Hiking trails are another good option, and Spring is the perfect time to get out in the woods.

However the safest place of all may be our online writing community space. Guess I’ll see you all there!



1 comment:

  1. Yes, finding safe places will be the key to our sanity, I think. I love the idea of finding safety in our writing communities!

    ReplyDelete

The Four Types of Conflict in the School Garden

Man vs. Man Who can fill their wheelbarrow to the brim with wood-chips, first? Has someone over-timed their turn with the wheelbarrow, or th...